Service Request

Unclassified Service Request

Users of unclassified resources should email the HPC Help Desk at for any problems, questions, or training requirements for any problems related to Kerberos, supported software, or unclassified system issues.

Other Service Request

Users of classified resources or users with special needs that fall outside the services provided by the HPC Help Desk may request customer support from the ARL DSRC Customer Service Center.

Users may access the Service Request form through a standard Web browser using either CAC/PKI, YubiKey, or Kerberos authentication. To create a service request, go to